Bohemia Elementary School

Skip to main content

PTC Meeting Records

 

December Meeting was held via email due to conjunction with the Winter Concert.

 

The emails took place December 5-12, 2017

December PTC – Email Meeting  - Initial Email       
 
Good morning! Hope this email finds you all well. This is the informational email for our December PTC meeting. On Tuesday December 12, I will email the group again and ask for everyone to make their vote for the Educational Grants needing approval. Until the 12th please ‘Reply All’ to this email to provide discussion and/or questions. 
 
Please note: Updates on Box Tops, Fall Festival, OBOB, Wreath and Spirit Wear Fundraisers and news about the upcoming Change Challenge will be discussed at the JANUARY 9 meeting (6pm, Room 14). If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of these items please email me separately from this email and I am happy to chat about whatever.
 
Administration Update: 
Music:
Friday, Dec 8th - Rehearsal for Winter Concert
10:30 – 11:15  Group 1 (McClean, Hawks, Morrow, Cavaner, Taie, Pinster)
12:35 – 1:20  Group 2 (Middleton, Stevens, Beach, Hicks, Shipley, Taylor)
Monday, Dec 11th
-        Group 1 Rehearsal 10:30  - 11:15
Concert at 6:00 
Tuesday, Dec 12th
-        Group 2 Rehearsal 10:30 – 11:15
Concert at 6:00
BOGO Book Fair:
December 11, 12, and 13
During Lunch Recess - 11:15 - 12:45
After School  2:45 - 4:00
Before Winter Concert  5:00 - 6:00
After Winter Concert  7:00 - 8:00
 
Safety: 
Staff will attend the district wide ALICE training on January 2nd.  We will share more at the January meeting.
Holidays: 
We are accepting donations for about 80 students who have been identified as being in need for the holidays.  Staff and community members have generously donated, but students are seem to be in greater need this year. We have our wrapping party on Wednesday, the 13th, at 1:45.
 
Educational Grants – For Discussion – Vote for Approval/Deny on Tues. Dec. 12 :
APPROVED GRANTS:
#1-Morrow/Beach: $335 – CD Players for “Listening to Reading”
#2-Olsen: $83 – Magazine Madness 
#3-Hicks: $250 – Headphones for iReady
#4-Cavaner: $239.90 – RAZ + and Vocab A-Z
#5-5th Grade: $100- Wonder Movie 
Total Approved as of 12/5: $1007.90
Remaining Budget (based on $2300) as of 12/5: $1292.10
 
FOR APPROVAL:
#6 – Hawks: $269.82 – Headphones for iReady and Journeys reading Curriculum
            Ms. Hawks is requesting 20 headphones for use with iReady math curriculum, Epic and Journeys reading curriculum. This is a similar request to Grant #3 from Ms. Hicks, which was approved at the November meeting. 
Kate: I propose that Ms. Hawks purchase 25 of the same headphones Ms. Hicks purchased, which would change the approved grant amount to $250. I also propose that Ms. Hawks share the headphones with other instructors. 
Question for Heather Bridgens: How many Chromebook Boxes are there?? Would it work out of to attach 15-20 Headphones to check out with each Chromebook Box for classrooms to use? (Rather than continuing to buy each grade level headphones and listening equipment.) Possibly have a similar checkout process for the CD players that were purchased with Grant #1. 
#7-Randall: $200 – For BOGO Book Fair Book Purchases for 80 Students in Need
            Mrs. Randall is requesting $200 to purchase books for 80 students to give as gifts this holiday season. This benefits the social-emotional part of a student’s learning. She writes, “As you may know about 75% of our school receives free and reduced lunch. At Bohemia we have a high population of families that could use support. Personally, I have gathered around $500 in donations. I asked for donations on Facebook and received $70 from old friends. I asked my sister, Godmother, Mr. Randall's parents and godmother to buy gifts for students at Bohemia in lieu of gifts for my own children.  I know my children have all that they need and more, but everyday I see children who would benefit deeply from an act of kindness. Around 22 staff members have either donated money, or gone shopping and donated items to help fund this project. We have 80 students on the list. 28 of those students staff determined were a "priority".”
 
Kate: I spoke with Mrs. Randall, whose initial request was for $500 to purchase gifts for students in need at Bohemia, and after discussion determined that $200 to purchase books at the BOGO Book Fair would be a much better option, as Bohemia will get the Scholastic kick-back for the sale and the $200 would be equivalent to $400 in donations. I explained to her that $500 is a very large request for the Educational Grant, but we definitely wanted to find a way to help her, and the students, out; as well we wanted to ensure that the funds used would have academic purpose, rather than the purchase of a toy/other needs item. We also discussed fundraising this year for this project next year, and possibly doing something a little more substantial next year for our Bohemia families. Within that discussion we talked about outreaching to community organizations to aid in this project for 2018. Mrs. Randall and I will sit down after the holidays to discuss how PTC can best help her in her position working with many at risk and homeless youth. 
Additional Information:
Donation Request: 
            If you would like to donate an item(s) for students in need at Bohemia please do so by dropping those items off at the office on or before the wrapping party on Wednesday Dec 13 at 1:45pm, monetary donations will also be accepted, but please have those in by Monday Dec 11 to ensure gifts can be purchased before the wrap party. 
Volunteer Needs:
            The BOGO Book Fair still needs volunteers for the lunch shift, Dec 11, 12 and 13 11:15-12:45pm. 2 volunteers are needed each day. Please go to: http://signup.com/go/MLAhVoO to sign-up online, or call/text me (541-357-1930) if you are available to volunteer.

 

Response # 1

 

I'm curious to know what the criteria was to establish what kids were a "priority" for Mrs. Randall's grant request. Especially if this becomes something that we create a fundraiser for in the future.
 Thanks,
Jolyn Culley
 
Response #2 
 
Hello everyone, 
 
We have had little to no response to this email so I take it that there are no other questions than the one I asked in the original email and the one from Jolyn. those questions are listed below, if you can answer any of these, please do so.
 
At 6pm I will email asking for everyones final votes for the educational grants, if there is further discussion at that point, please indicate that. If you do not email in a vote for the educational grants, listed below, by 9 am tomorrow morning, then it will be considered that you are abstaining from the vote. I will tally votes and do a follow up email tomorrow morning at 9am. 
 
Questions needing to be answered:
* Question for Adminstration/Stephanie Randall:What was the criteria was to establish what kids were a "priority" for Mrs. Randall's grant request? 
Question for Heather Bridgens: How many Chromebook Boxes are there?? Would it work out of to attach 15-20 Headphones to check out with each Chromebook Box for classrooms to use? (Rather than continuing to buy each grade level headphones and listening equipment.) Possibly have a similar checkout process for the CD players that were purchased with Grant #1.
 
Grants for approval (details in initial email):
#6 – Hawks: $269.82 – Headphones for iReady and Journeys reading Curriculum
#7-Randall: $200 – For BOGO Book Fair Book Purchases for 80 Students in Need
 
If you are ready to vote without further discussion, please go ahead and email your vote in for the grants. 
 
Response #3 
 

Here are the answers to questions, to the best of my ability:

1. There was no criteria, other than teacher's judgement to prioritize students for Mrs. Randall's list.

2. We have two "chrome boxes" (a desktop computer for student use) in the library.  Each classroom, grades 3-5, has a cart of chromebooks in their classroom.  The number of chromebooks in those carts vary from 15-32.  K-2 have a cart that they share by grade level.  Some teachers asked for students to bring headphones as part of their school supplies at the beginning of the year.  Most of those headphones have since fallen apart.  It seems logical that we could provide a class set of headphones for each grade level to check out as needed.  

Heather

 

 

 

Votes were held - 11 voted in favor of both Grants, 8 abstained from vote by not emailing in, 19 participants

 

Grants #6 and #7 Approved.

 

December Email Meeting Participants:

  • Kate Brown
  • Kim Dorr
  • Diane Hicks
  • Nikki McClean
  • Dacia Marsh
  • Jolyn Culley
  • Valerie Gifford
  • Dianne Moeller
  • Karla Bengtson
  • Heather Vaughn
  • Stephanie Turner
  • Ben Deatherage
  • Megan Peart
  • Lisa Cardwell
  • Stephanie Randall
  • Laurie Melendy
  • Crystal Hawley
  • Angel Reeves
  • Heather Bridgens

 

 

 

 

November Meeting can be found here:

 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eVx5NH1900Pw6e0lD80Y1yp6q_C_dfQIqHLn0N0PbM8/edit?usp=sharing 

 

PTC MEETING (11-7-17)

 

MEETING AGENDA:

Introductions: Kate Brown

In Attendance:

  • Kate Brown
  • Kim Dorr
  • Diane Hicks
  • Nikki McClean
  • Dacia Marsh
  • Jolyn Culley
  • Valerie Gifford
  • Dianne Moeller
  • Karla Bengtson
  • Heather Vaughn
  • Stephanie Turner
  • Ben Deatherage
  • Megan Peart
  • Lisa Cardwell

 

District Parent Club Meeting Follow-Up: Jolyn Culley

  • 19 new teachers
  • 12 new EAs
  • PE grant for additional PE teacher at Bohemia & Harrison
  • Bond update:
    • Harrison looking good; 3 weeks behind, but still planning to open in the fall; community walk-throughs will be available at some point; classrooms are located in pods that have security measures like being able to lockdown just a specific pod
    • Security improvements throughout the district such as night locks
    • 5.21 million for pool  improvements (locker rooms, pool not regulation size, electrical upgrades, etc; committee to prioritize which items to address first; will need to close the pool for at least a year to do upgrades and will need to factor in the cost of busing kids for sports like water polo and swim team)
    • Chronic absenteeism is an issue

Finances:

  • Financial Update: Kim Dorr
  • Educational Grant Updates: Kate
  • Grant #1 Morrow/Beach: $335 Approved
  • To be approved/denied:
  • Grant #2 Olsen: $83 - Magazine Madness (passed with unanimous vote)
  • Grant #3 Hicks: $250 - Headphones for iReady  (passed with unanimous vote)
  • Grant #4 Cavaner: $239.90 - RAZ + and Vocab A-Z (will pass contingent upon the answers to following questions)
          • Can this be used for classes beyond Mr. Cavaner’s? Number of students as well as grade levels available for reading needs?
          • If this is an online subscription that may classes would benefit from, should we make it a budget item for next year rather than a grant
  • Grant #5 5th grade: $100.00 - Wonder Movie (passed with unanimous vote)

 

  • Budget Committee:
  • Looking for input for next year’s budget
  • Kate, Karla and Kim will work with the Budget Committee

 

Administration Update : Heather Bridgens  and/or Laurie Melendy - At a training (not present)

 

Music Update : Heather - at a training (not present)

  • Is winter concert happening? Yes, look for info coming soon

 

Old Business:

  • Fall Festival on Nov 16: Kate
  • Action Items:
  • Volunteer Needs: Dianne Moeller
  • Basket Items due THIS THURSDAY Nov. 9 Nikki & Diane will make sure that this is communicated in tomorrow’s morning announcements
  • Parent Teacher Conferences Follow-up: Kate
  • Survey results at December Meeting
  • Dinner Follow-up: Kim
        • Enchiladas were delicious (thanks Kim and Kate!)
        • We stayed in our budget of $150; we will plan on continuing this format rather than outsourcing like we have done in the past
  • Pending Fundraisers: Kate
  • Bottle Drop Can Drive Don’t have any volunteers for this one at the moment, but perhaps we can revisit this in the spring or next year
  • Wreath Sale Don’t have any volunteers to head this one up this year; perhaps will revisit it for next year
  • Spirit Wear Sale: Karla
  • Zip Hooded Sweatshirt: $35 w/ front and back logo (Karla brought in an adult medium and a youth medium for us to preview - they look great!)
  • Order ONLY,  forms will go out to students following Fall Festival
  • Orders can be made AT Fall Festival, November 16, there will be an example for people to see
  • Forms DUE  December 1
  • Orders will be delivered to students before Winter Break
  • School Clean up Day Follow-up: Kate
      • Thank you to all the volunteers who showed up; we did some weeding and painting of the red shed (ran out of paint, though; maintenance will try to finish up the one spot that is unpainted)
  • World Teacher Day Follow-up: Kate
      • Teachers really enjoyed the cards and the yummy treats. Thank you!
  • Box Tops: Valerie
      • Original goal was to get to $100, but teacher feedback is saying that $100 is too much; perhaps a goal of $50 for the extra recess?
  • Oct 12 Assembly Follow-up

New Business:

  • OBOB: Karla
  • Who is leading for 2017/2018?
  • Brenda McClean 2017/2018
  • 3rd, 4th, 5th grades
          • 16 books; library has multiple copies
  • We are registered for this year
          • The library and Diane Hicks’ room are available for teams to meet at for studying
          • Mrs. Hicks, Mrs. Taie and other teachers will be available to do battles at lunchtime
  • Diane Hicks 2016/2017
  • Artist in Residence : Kate
  • Lead: Heather Vaughn
  • Pick an artist and medium, begin scheduling
  • Work around upcoming “Spirit of Bohemia” Art Show - currently scheduled for March 15

 

Other: (open to floor)

 

Next PTC Meeting: NO Regularly Scheduled Meeting in DECEMBER - Enjoy the holidays!

*For those interested-Meeting to discuss upcoming 2018/2019 Budget: Dec. 12, 2017 6pm, location TBD





  • Volunteering:
  • PTC Volunteer Coordinator: Dianne Moeller -  970-203-5937
  • Upcoming: BOGO Book Fair -(will be posted to Signup.com on 11/10)
  • December 11, 12 and 13 - 2 people each day
  • Also, Contact Kate 541-357-1930 if available



  • Reminders:
  • IRC (Inter-generational Reading Collaboration)
  • 3 days a week commitment in a First Grade classroom

Interested? Contact Laurie Melendy 541-767-3434 laurie.melendy@slane.k12.or.us

  • UO Ducks Fundraiser is STILL GOING ON!
  • Use the code: 2017BOHEMIA when purchasing UO Duck tickets online and Bohemia gets $5.00 back for every ticket sold; tickets start at $39
  • Valid on November 18 Game ONLY vs. Arizona



 

PTC MEETING 10-3-17

 

MEETING MINUTES

Introductions: Kate Brown

In Attendance:

  • Nikki McClean
  • Kate Brown
  • Diane Hicks
  • Heather Bridgens
  • Dacia Marsh
  • Angel Reeves
  • Diane Hicks
  • Heather Bridgens
  • Karla Bengtson
  • Crystal Holly
  • Valerie Gifford
  • Jolyn Culley
  • Megan Peart
  • Kim Dorr
  • Heather Vaughn
  • Carolyn Hansen

 

Finances:

  • Financial Update: Kim Dorr
  • Educational Grant Updates: Kate
  • Ms. Morrow & Ms. Beach are asking for $335 to purchase cd players for “Listening to Reading” opportunities during their reading block time; motioned passed with 12 votes in support
  • Budget Committee: Kate
  • Need 2-4 volunteers to help with preparing the budget for 2018-2019; get in touch with Kim if you are interested in being on this team
  • __________________________ __________________________ __________________________ ________________________
  • Kate, Karla and Kim will work with the Budget Committee

 

Administration Update : Heather Bridgens and/or Laurie Melendy

  • Oct 5 Heather and Laurie will head to the district office to the district PTC meeting
  • Oct 18-19 fall parent/teacher conferences
  • Oct 16-19 Scholastic Book Fair will be open the week of conferences; there is a Wild West theme; rodeo queen might pay a visit; raffle opportunities; fun activities like decorating cowboy hats and lassoing; family day where students can bring a special guest to shop with them; teachers fill out a wish list & families are welcome to purchsse a book to be donated to their child’s classroom
  • Oct 14 campus clean-up day
  • Need help with weeds on track
  • 5th grade will be having Outdoor School the last week of May at Grove Christian Camp

 

Music Update : Heather

  • New music teacher, Megan Lafoca
  • Pre K-K: focused on routines (stand on risers & carpet, hand motion songs)
  • 1st-2nd: tapping beat; rhythm sticks
  • 3rd: rhythm; learning notes
  • 4th-5th: taking notes and applying it when playing music
  • Instrument of the week: all students  learn about a new instrument and instrument family every 2 weeks
  • Winter concert is happening the first week of December; 1st-4th grades
  • The plan at this point is for Candy to return from her medical leave at the end of November
  • Plan on still having a 5th grade musical at the end of the year

 

Old Business:

  • Fall Festival on Nov 16: Kate
  • Action Items:
  • Administration, email follow-up: Condiments, games, HS group, quilt
  • Can we use cafeteria condiments - yes, but we could also go to Costco and just buy condiments and have them on the tables
  • A lot of the PTC items are upstairs in the loft at Bohemia
  • Heather will touch base with Mark Bass (Interact Club) to get volunteers to run the games
  • The family that used to make and donate the quilt is not longer a Bohemia family, so we could use any leads for someone else who would be willing to donate a quilt
  • Time Slot Sign-ups
  • Grocery Outlet (Hot Dogs, Buns, & Side Dish for 400pp approx. $400)  
  • Volunteer: Jolyn Culley
  • Safeway (Cookies for 400pp approx. $100)
  • Volunteer: Jolyn Culley
  • Parent Teacher Conferences: Kate
  • Survey: Karla Bengston
  • Volunteers to sell t-shirts and administer survey:
  • Kim - order tamales? Yes, Kim is going to contact Amanda from the preschool classroom to place an order for the tamales; Kim will also make guacamole and get chips & salsa; about 35 staff; will provide this for the Thursday Oct 19th meal
  • Potluck Sign-ups
  • Bottle Drop Can Drive: Kate/Karla
  • Coordinator: ____________________________________________
  • Meet w/ Karla to go over details.
  • **America Recycles Day: November 15**

 

  • Wreath Sale: Kate
  • Coordinator: ____________________________________________
  • Meet w/ Kate to go over details.
  • Spirit Wear Sale: Karla
  • Zip Hooded Sweatshirt: $35 w/ front and back logo
  • Order ONLY,  forms will go out to students Monday, November 6
  • Orders can be made at Fall Festival, November 16
  • Forms due November 22,  before Thanksgiving Break
  • Orders will be delivered to students before Winter Break
  • 2016/2017 T-shirts will be offered to Staff first at reduced price
  • Remaining will be sold at reduced price at PT Conferences and Fall Festival
  • UO Ducks Fundraiser: Kate Brown
  • People just need to use the code: 2017BOHEMIA when purchasing UO Duck tickets online and Bohemia gets $5.00 back for every ticket sold; tickets start at $39
  • Valid on these game dates: October 7 and November 18

 

New Business:

  • IRC (Inter-generational Reading Collaboration)
  • 3 days a week commitment in a First Grade classroom

Interested? Contact Laurie Melendy 541-767-3434 melendy@slane.k12.or.us

  • School Clean up Day: October 14, 1-4pm  or? _______________________________
  • Volunteer Sign-up Sheet : Need 8-10 volunteers
  • Box Tops: Dacia Marsh & Valerie
  • Glue/tape box tops on “dollar” papers; every “dollar” is worth an actual $1.00
  • Incentives: when your class reaches a certain benchmark, your class gets a free recess or a pajama day or . . .
  • Oct 12 is our next assembly and Valerie could have a few minutes to just hype up bringing in more box tops
  • Current Sign-ups:
  • Book Fair
  • School Clean-up
  • Fall Festival - coming soon
  • World Teacher Day 10/5
  • Volunteer to bring treats for all Teachers: _______________________________
  • _____________________________________ ______________________________________
  • Cookies, Brownies, etc. - approx. 3 dozen

 

Other: (open to floor)

 

Next PTC Meeting: Tuesday November 7, 2017 6pm Rm 14

 

Agenda Items For Next meeting:

  • Fall Festival
  • Wreath Sale
  • District Parent Club Meeting Follow-up

 

 

September 5, 2017 Meeting Minutes

Introductions: Kate Brown


Coordinator Report: Kate Brown

  • We help provide programs that maybe the school doesn’t  have funding for; we bridge the gap where there are needs
  • Activities we are in charge of
  • Fall Festival (November this year)
  • Music program
  • Change Challenge (Formerly the “Change War” or “Penny War”) & Spirit Week
  • Student Art Show (new this year)
  • Jog-a-thon (biggest fundraiser of the year; funds our entire music program
  • Go/Slow/Whoa Food and Exercise Event (new this year)
  • Parent Conferences (provide dinner for one night)
  • Teacher Appreciation Week

Financial:

  • Financial Update: Kim Dorr (nothing has changed since the last meeting)
  • Educational Grant: Kate Brown ($2300 allocated to this)
  • Decided to combine the field trip/supply grants that used to be separate grants in the past
  • Teachers need to fill out a form that will be available in the staff room
  • It will be first come first serve, per grade level
  • There will be a bulletin board in the staff room that will let teachers know how much money is still available during the year and what kinds of grants are being given

Music Update: Kate Brown

  • Candy Dimock our music instructor is out on medical leave for this first trimester; we do have a long-term sub, Megan LaFoca, who will be doing the weekly music lessons; the winter concert will be different then we have seen before

Administration Update

  • New math adoption  called Ready Math - excited
  • New social/emotional curriculum; all schools K-5 in the district will be doing it; centers around class meetings
  • New Safe Touch curriculum; called “Erin’s Law”
  • Received a 2 year PE grant; in the process of hiring another PE teacher; 150 minutes of PE per week with a certified teacher
  • 5 new teachers and 8 new classified staff this year
  • Looking at air quality numbers for these first few days of school; if the air quality is under 150 particles, we can go outside; otherwise will we do “rainy day” recess with closed doors
  • Most of our staff read Kids Deserve It! By: Todd Nesloney & Adam Welcome over the summer and it has been a great book for giving our staff strategies on how to make kids and families feel important and valued
  • We will read another book during the  school year called Engaging Students with Poverty in Mind by: Eric Jensen; we feel this is really appropriate for our population because we have a 75% poverty rate

Old Business:

  • UO Ducks Fundraiser: Kate Brown
  • People just need to use the code: 2017BOHEMIA when purchasing UO Duck tickets online and Bohemia gets $5.00 back for every ticket sold; tickets start at $39
  • Valid on these game dates: Oct 7, Nov 18

New Business:

  • Additional Fundraisers
  • Mo’s Chowder Fundraiser: Karla Bengston
  • We sell the Mo’s Chowder base for $10.00 and we get $4.00 from each sale
  • Perhaps have samples at the Fall Festival?
  • Spirit Wear Sale: Karla Bengston
  • We will be selling t-shirts and sweatshirts that we already have on hand from last year; trying to get a zip-up sweatshirt that would be new this year
  • Sell them at the October parent/teacher conferences
  • Want to eventually move towards having students design the upcoming spirit wear
  • Christmas Wreaths in November/December
  • Pop Can Drive: Karla Bengston
  • Build a pop can receptacle that needs to be locked; volunteers take them to the Bottle Drop in Eugene; ongoing fundraiser throughout the year
  • Could do a larger one day fundraiser where families bring all their cans; Oregon Beverage Recycling Cooperative will provide bags
  • Tupperware Fundraiser: Tonya LeClaire (has done them before at schools in Eugene; get 40% of profits)
  • Parent/Teacher Conferences: Kate Brown
  • Need volunteers to help organize one night of dinner at parent teacher/conferences in October
  • Thinking about getting tamales and asking families to bring a side

Other: (open to floor)



Next PTC Meeting: Tuesday October 3, 2017 6pm Rm 14



Agenda Items For Next meeting:

  • Fall Festival